Dr. Angie D. Recendez is a trained doula through DONA International. She works with women prenatally and has had the honor of assisting women in having a satisfying experience as they go through one of the most memorable moments in their life.
Before birth, she works with women to determine their goals, develop a birth plan/wish and educate on various pregnancy topics and beneficial exercises.
She draws on her knowledge and experience to help women realize their bodies potential, provide emotional support, physical comfort and information needed to make informed decisions. Providing reassurance and perspective to you and your support team and help with relaxation, massage and other techniques for comfort.
As a doula, Dr. Recendez does not give any medical treatment or make medical decisions for the parents. Instead, she is there to help explain the birth process, provide support, and help the mother and partner or support make an informed decision.
From DONA International
What is a doula?
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula...
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Allows the woman's partner or support person to participate at his/her comfort level